SDFL division one

Ipplepen Athletic 2,

Beesands Rovers 8

The Bees came into this match in the knowledge that a victory might not be enough to seal third place and promotion.

However, the Bees gave it their all, finishing their season with gusto and a goal flourish.

The Bees got off to an explosive start, with Lee Morgan forcing a corner in the first minute. Gus Hayward's ball in was met by Rob Niblett ghosting in and calmly hitting home for 0-1.

Within minutes Jed Tucker was fouled. The free kick into the area was cleared as far as Dave Harvey who, from quite a distance, lashed the ball straight back into the back of the net for 0-2.

Just before the quarter hour another Bees attack produced a shot that a heavy deflection took past the 'keeper for a score line of 0-3.

The rare Pen attacks produced a series of saves from 'keeper Carl Hoare to ensure that the Bees remained in the driving seat.

With five minutes of the half remaining, a neat dummy from Mor­gan allowed Gus Hay­ward to cross and his ball in was met by Danny Tucker, who knocked it home for 0-4.

Just before the break a cross into the Bees area found the Pens number nine unattended and able to shoot past Hoare for 1-4.

The second half began with Ipplepen attacking and trying to reduce the arrears. The Bees felt comfortable with a three-goal lead and were satisfied mopping up the attacking threat. Hoare did a trademark feint and dummy to clear a through ball.

Gutsy work came from Hayward to retain the ball and advance down the wing where, under heavy defensive pressure, he managed to get a cross in for Guy Watson to slot home to make the score 1-5.

Hayward had had a couple of chances to get on the score sheet to no avail, but rectified it when a ball out wide from Danny Tucker was held with considerable aplomb under pressure and from the acutest of angles he dinked it in for 1-6.

At the other end Hoare pulled off another great save, this time from their number nine. Soon after lovely wing work and a cross from Hay­ward produced a shot from Wat­son that was saved, but the follow-up was put home by Jed Tuck­er for 1-7.

A dejected Ipplepen lumped a ball into the area, more in hope than expectation, and the number nine got his head to it and into the corner of the net for his second and 2-7.

The Bees responded when neat footwork be­tween Danny Tucker and Hayward allowed the youngster to ad­vance and net his second and the Bees eighth.

There were a number of contenders for man of the match: Hayward with his goals and all round gutsy performance, Danny Tucker with a trademark polished performance, but the award went to Dave Harvey for his trademark solid performance topped with a rare but spectacular goal.

The Bees would like to thank their fans for their continued support and will see them next season.

Buckland Athletic thirds 4,

Beesands Rovers 0

IN their penultimate game of the season and final midweek fixture, Beesands' hopes of the division one title were finally extinguished by a Buckland side boosted by the permitted three first teams.

For the first 15 minutes, Beesands knocked the ball around superb­ly and with a touch of good fortune could easily have been 3-0 ahead.

Buckland took the lead when a long throw into the penalty area was headed home, but the visitor still continued to create the better chances, with Broad and Morgan going close.

With the half almost at an end, Buckland scored their second in bizarre circumstances, from a free kick wide on the left wing.

As the referee walk­ed away from the kick a Buckland player shot right-footed for goal.

Not seeing this, the referee blew his whistle for the kick to be taken, players from both sides immediately stopped and the ball sailed, uncontested, into the net.

Despite protests that everyone had stopped because of the whistle, the referee allowed the goal to stand. Shellshocked, Buck­land scored again a minute later to give them a flattering scoreline.

The spirit of a few Beesands players was severely dented and Buckland went on to dominate the second half, bringing on their first-team centre-back to shore up their de­fence.

Beesands fought hard but rarely got into the Buckland area and it took some great tackles by Dave Harvey and man-of-the-match Alex Browne to deny the hosts time and time again.

Although they could afford the luxury of a missed penalty, Buck­land completed the scoring 20 minutes from time when the ball broke nicely in the six-yard box to be rifled home.

The win confirmed Buckland as division one champions with Brixham runners-up.