SDFL division five

Paignton Saints reserves 1,

Seven days is a long time in football.

Last week free-scoring Kingsbridge and Kellaton ran in six goals against a strong Newton United side, but the Ks' shooting boots deserted them this time as they drew with mid-table side Paignton Saints.

As in previous weeks, Kellaton took control of the game in the midfield in the early stages.

Chris Lynn and Joe Phillips were industrious in their efforts to get Kingsbridge on the ball and both had early sights at goal with long-range efforts that fell wide.

The Kings were well on top in terms of possession, but were often lacking with the final ball against a Saints side that was defending with their bodies on the line.

Robin Lee had a sight of goal on the left of the box but his first time effort flew wide of the post.

Strike pairing Brett Auger and Elliot Brad­bury also saw first half efforts saved as Kings­bridge started to come to the grim realisation that they had left their shooting boots at home.

Kellaton's defence was enjoying a quiet day at the office, dominating the ball against their opponent's strong aerial attacks.

Paul Dixon and Chris Tho­mas excelled in the physical battle and Ben Smith and Luke Phil­lips were proving to be important bases to build attacks from the full-back positions.

The home side did see one rare sight of goal late in the first half but 'keeper James War­wick was quick off his line to smother the danger with a lunging tackle.

The half time break did little to change the tone of the game, with Kellaton enjoying much of the play without getting that all-important breakthrough.

Once again Kellaton looked to the set-piece delivery of Robin Lee to create the breakthrough. The veteran winger whipped in a corner and Chris Tho­mas rose highest to head the ball in to the back of the net.

It was an undoubtedly deserved lead for Kellaton, despite the quality in the final third letting them down on occasions.

The tempo of the game didn't change much after the goal, but Kellaton's toil in attack continued to fail to create clear-cut chances, with Bradbury and Lee snatching at half-chances when in front of goal.

With Kingsbridge having been untroubled by Paignton's attack throughout the match, it was always going to be a set-piece that got the home side a goal and this proved to be the case in the final minute of the fixture.

A long throw deep in to the Kellaton area was flicked on by the Paign­ton forward and de­flected in to the back of the net to send the home side in to raptures and leave the away side stunned.

It was strange to think both sides had come out of the game with the same amount of points such was the scenes at the final whistle as Paignton celebrated their unlikely point and Kingsbridge were forced to consider 'what might have been'.