COMMUNITIES across Devon are being invited to apply for a free street party licence to mark the coronation of His Majesty King Charles III and Her Majesty The Queen Consort.

The Coronation takes place on the morning of Saturday, May 6, at Westminster Abbey, and on Sunday, May 7, and Coronation Big Lunches will bring communities together with a special Coronation Concert at Windsor Castle.

And throughout the weekend of festivities hundreds of events, ranging from traditional street parties and lunches to Jubilee markets, fun-days, and galas, are expected with many taking place on Devon streets.

Communities wishing hold a street party are being asked to apply, for free, using the basic street party application to close off their street. Applications can be made for the Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

A Devon County Council spokesperson said: ‘This process is for minor residential roads and cul-de -sacs only and they will be considered on an individual basis.

‘Applications can be made by applying on Devon County Council's (DCC) website at

‘Additionally, events on busier roads can also be submitted by making a Special Event application at

‘However, these usually require three months’ notice and they will only be approved if it’s practical and they may incur a fee.

‘A huge number of applications are expected – approximately 160 street closures were granted ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations last year – and organisers are being urged to submit their applications ahead of the cut-off date on Sunday. March 26.’

Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council’s Cabinet Member for Highway Management, said: ‘The coronation of a new Monarch is a once in a generation event and we want communities to get together across Devon to celebrate.

‘Street parties are very much part of our national identity and have been for more than 100 years, and we want communities to come together, celebrate with family and neighbours, make new friends, and have fun.

‘If you want to arrange a street party you'll need let us know as soon as possible.

‘Unfortunately, we are unable to approve every application and please get your application in before March 26.’

For clarification, street parties on larger roads can still be applied for but the process is different and would require a Special Event application, which is a longer process.