Kingsbridge take the honours at wet and wild Boxing Day clash

Thursday 28th December 2017 12:35 pm

Kings' scrum-half Jack Evans is tackled

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

Salcombe 0

The horrendous Boxing Day weather did little to stop the hardiest (or nuttiest) of rugby followers from braving the elements for the annual Kingsbridge-Salcombe derby match which took place at High House this year.

In what were some of the worst playing conditions seen for many years, Kingsbridge ran out comfortable winners in a game that lasted just over an hour.

In between the morning match and the game in the afternoon, the conditions worsened suitably enough for the game to be played under floodlights, with both teams already suitably soaked to the skin from their warm ups.

The hosts opened the scoring after just seven minutes as a five-metre line-out resulted in hooker Jake Vincent gaining the touchdown from the catch and drive. On 15 minutes the hosts doubled their lead as a quickly taken tap penalty saw the visitors caught off guard, with centre Thom Lehman sliding into the corner for the second try.

Wing Alex Allen was next to get his name on the score sheet as he crossed over wide out on 17 minutes to take the score to 15-0, before full-back George Banfield crossed over on 26 minutes for try number four. Lehman added an excellent long-range conversion in the tough conditions to take the score to 22-0 at half time.

The conditions worsened considerably during the second half and it was apparent that the game would be unlikely to go the full distance. The hosts increased their lead to 27-0 early in the half as winger Greg Parrott got on the end of a backs move before sliding his way over in the bottom corner.

On 15 minutes a strong forward surge in the Salcombe 22 saw the Kingsbridge pack drive over the line, with prop Buster James emerging with the ball after scoring the hosts’ sixth and final try which took the score to 32-0.

With still around 15 minutes of the game remaining the referee and both teams agreed to call a halt to proceedings, with few complaints from those watching. Massive congratulations to both teams on providing some hard-fought holiday entertainment in such atrocious conditions.

The annual morning fixture saw the Kingsbridge Greyhounds run out 7-35 winners over Kingsbridge A XV. The three Kingsbridge teams have no matches this weekend. Normal fixtures resume on January 6, when the 1st XV entertain Chard, the A XV travel to face Topsham and the Colts entertain Ivybridge.

More About:



To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0