Herald Cup

Beesands Rovers 0,

seconds 2

Following a match break the previous weekend, the Bees were keen to carry on where they left off, having had such an impressive victory. Alas that was not to be.

Ivy showed their threat early on with a shot that was just wide. End-to-end play ensued, neat interplay between Jed Tucker, Lee Hammett and Fin Bullen coming to nothing before, at the other end, Sean Raymont had to intervene twice to break up an Ivy attack.

Tom Harvey’s long throw resulted in Hammett’s header finding Bullen, but under pressure, he could only shoot high.

A D Tucker shot from distance was saved before an Ivy attack produced a diagonal cross across goal that Toby Harvey got to ahead of a striker.

Just after the half-hour mark an Ivy cross was met by a header on goal but Harvey saved. The last third of the half saw the Bees under almost constant pressure from Ivy, but stood firm albeit with some wobbles.

For the second half Joe Merchant replaced James Hurt.

The Bees attacked from the off, with J Tucker showing nimble feet to pass through to D Tucker whose effort was blocked for a corner.

D Tucker’s low corner was met by Lang but was blocked and cleared.

The Bees were fortunate when Ivy broke away and from a wide position a stretching right back’s diagonal shot went wide. While play was end to end the Bees were pressing well.

The game’s first goal finally arrived when Ivy attacked and D Harvey was adjudged to have fouled a player just inside the area.

The Ivy penalty was struck home despite Bees ‘keeper Toby Har­vey getting a hand to it..

The goal gave Ivy confidence and they displayed some lovely footwork, with crisp exchange of passes.

Elliott Bellamy replaced Garner as Bees looked to get back into the game.

Lang’s corner was met by D Tucker’s volley that lofted high and was claimed by the ‘keeper. Wilkes then replaced Bullen as Bees searched for the equaliser.

The killer blow came at the other end, however, when a cross came in from wide and Harvey looked as though he had the shot covered before it was wickedly deflected into the corner for 0-2.

The last action of the match saw D Tucker retain the ball under pressure and find Wilkes, whose effort was blocked before J Tucker’s effort went wide.

The Bees man-of-the-match award went to Dave Lang.

Beesands next match is away to Newton Abbot 66 firsts in the Firewatch Devon Senior Cup, kick-off 2pm on November 5. All are welcome to come along and support the Bees.

The match ball was sponsored by Chris Tucker of On Tap Plumbing.